Paradise High School Counselor

FAQ’s: A Survivor’s Guide to High School

Classes & Credits

Q: What type of schedule is offered?

The Paradise High School day consists of 8 class periods. All freshmen, sophomores, and juniors are required to attend a course during each of these periods. Seniors in good academic standing are eligible for late arrival & early dismissal for 3 class periods. Allowable senior releases are 1st, 7th & 8th periods or 6th, 7th & 8th periods.

Q: What classes & credits are required for graduation?

A complete list of state and local requirements can be found on the high school counselor’s web-site.

Q: What is a credit?

One half of a credit is earned for each semester of a course that a student receives a passing grade. (70% or above) Grade classification is based on credits earned. Classification is determined ONLY at the beginning of a school year.




0.0-5.5 credits


6.0-11.5 credits


12.0-17.5 credits


18.0 or more credits


26.0 credits

Q: How is GPA calculated?

GPA is calculated by dividing the points earned by the number of courses taken. Standard classes are based on a 4 point scale. Advanced level courses are weighted more heavily.

Q: How do Pre-AP & AP classes differ from regular classes?

Advanced level courses move at a faster pace, and involve more in-depth levels of study as well as summer assignments. These courses are weighted heavier than the traditional 4.0. Advanced classes require pre-requisites.

Q: What is a Dual Credit course?

A dual credit course is a college level course that also applies to high school credit. We work closely with Texas Woman's University & Weatherford College Wise County to offer dual credit courses on our campus. Courses are available only for Juniors & Seniors.

Q: How does my child change his/her schedule?

To avoid loss of credit, classes may only be changed at the beginning of each semester. Schedule changes are made through a schedule request form that may be picked up from the counselor’s office. Students complete the form, including a parent signature, and return it to the counselor’s office. Students will then be notified whether or not the change is possible. Every attempt to fulfill the request will be made, however some requests can not be accommodated (ie, the class is full, the pre-requisite has not been met, the class conflicts with another scheduled class, etc.) Requests to stay in the same course with a different teacher will not be granted.

Q: How does my child register for classes for the upcoming year?

In the spring, each grade level will be given the opportunity during the school day to complete an on-line schedule request for the following year. A printed version of the requests will be given to the student to take home so that they may discuss course selections with their parents.

Q: How can my child earn PE credit?

PE credit can be earned in several ways:

*PE Class


*Marching Band (fall sem. only)

*Dance/drill team

Communication Between Home & School

Q: How can I contact my child's teacher?

Teachers may be contacted via e-mail (addresses are posted on the high school web-site) or by scheduling an appointment during their conference time. Appointments may be scheduled through the high school secretary. If you have a question or concern about your child’s progress in a class, the teacher should be your first point of contact.

Q: When should I contact the attendance office?

The attendance clerk should be called anytime your child will be absent, including arriving late or leaving early. You should also contact the attendance clerk with any changes to address, phone numbers, or emergency contacts.

Q: What is the difference between report cards & progress reports?

Your student will receive a report card at the end of each six week period. A progress report is issued at each 3 week point in the six week cycle. The progress report alerts student’s to their current average. Semester averages shown on the report card are reflected on transcripts.

Q: How can I contact the counselor?

E-mail is the quickest & most efficient way to contact the counselor. If you do not have access to e-mail, please call the counselor’s office to schedule an appointment. When the counselor is working with students you may reach voicemail. Your call will be returned more efficiently if you leave a detailed message.

Available Resources

 Q: Are there any on line resources?

The district web-page contains a wealth of information. A link to the parent portal can be accessed from the main page. The parent portal allows parents access to their student’s current grades & attendance information. An online meal payments link can be found here as well, to allow parents to manage their child’s lunch account. The high school link gives information specific to high school activities, events, and daily announcements. Staff e-mail addresses and web-pages can be found here as well. The high school counselor’s web-page details information in the following areas: college information, career information, financial aid, test preparation, scholarships, testing dates, etc.

Q: Are there any college readiness workshops for students?

Yes, the counselor works with a college representative to plan monthly Senior Assemblies. Topics covered include: Choosing a college, applying to a college, resume’ building, ACT & SAT test taking tips, financial aid, completing college applications, FAFSA, financial aid budgeting, majors & minors, and making a schedule. See the counselor’s web-page for scheduled dates.


 Q: What sort of records should I keep?

Freshman year start a filing system:

*Any report cards

*Any academic awards

*Athletic certificates

*a folder for clubs, organizations, community service projects, or volunteer organizations

*Test scores..EOC, PSAT, SAT, ACT, TSI

Having this information readily available will make filling out college applications a lot easier.