Catastrophic Sick Leave Bank
A catastrophic illness or injury is a severe condition or combination of conditions affecting the mental or physical health of the employee or a member of the employee’s immediate family that requires the services of a licensed practitioner for a prolonged period of time and that forces the employee to exhaust all leave time earned by that employee and to lose compensation from the District. Complications resulting from pregnancy shall be treated the same as any other condition.
Elective surgeries should be scheduled during non-instructional times.
When hearing a request for days from the sick leave bank, the committee shall retain the privilege of reviewing the employee’s accumulated or lack of accumulated local leave days.
Confidentiality shall be maintained by all committee members. A member of the committee who violates confidentiality shall be considered in violation of District policy and the Standards of Ethics and shall be subject to discipline.
The following guidelines shall apply to the sick leave bank:
1. Upon employment, each new District employee shall donate one personal leave day.
2. The Board shall match each leave day donated by employees.
6. An employee who suffers a catastrophic illness or injury and who is eligible to receive catastrophic sick leave days may apply to the committee for the days needed from the sick leave bank.
7. All committee members shall be present during consideration of sick leave requests and a majority vote at the time of the meeting shall determine the outcome of the request. The administrator shall send the decision of the committee in writing to the individual making the request. Employees dissatisfied with the committee’s decision may follow District grievance policies.
8. Requests for sick leave days shall not exceed 30 days and shall be subject to review.
All decisions regarding the sick leave bank may be appealed in accordance with DGBA (LOCAL), beginning with the Superintendent or designee.